Monday 19 October 2015

The Writing Project_Earrings

Was it your voice that first struck me with nostalgia
And made me quiver at the thought of ever having lost you?

Or Was it your words, of wisdom, of ramblings with no consequence
those which made me think; stayed part of everyday memory?

Was it your effort, that unsaid, but necessary piece of thoughtful action
that which made me want to bless the blessing-giver?

Or was it your screaming, your screeching, un-nerving noise
that which made me want to hate you, while I failed at it every single time?

I think it was your sari, your smell enveloped in the skin of the fabric
That smell that was you-er than you would even know

I think it was your hair, the coconut oil drenched, pulled with rigor
That rigor which perfected everything around you, perfected me,

I think it was your earring, you were there, so close, even when you were far,
That closeness, only announced by its light tinkling, a threat, a relief.

I think it was all these, as much as it was you
I think it was you , as much as it was these,

I think it was the earrings, the only ones that stay with me now. 
I think it was you Ma, announcing a little threat, a little relief.



This is the second part of The Writing Project with Kapil Pilankar, wherein we choose words and write our take on it. For Kapil's look at Earrings, the second word in our writing journey please click on the link below
http://kapilankar.blogspot.com/2015/10/earrings.html

No comments:

Post a Comment